Tuesday 22 October 2013

Review: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time

First of all...WOW! I knew that this was a popular play but I was not expecting it to be one of the best things I have ever seen!

The show is based on the award winning book, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time, written be Mark Haddon and has been adapted by Simon Stephens  to create an absolutely wonderful theatre production. The play has won seven Olivier Awards including Best New Play and whilst it may not have a catchy title, it certainly has a memorable story...

The play is about a fifteen year old boy, named Christopher Boone, who has a form of autism. He wakes one morning to find that his neighbors dog has been killed with a garden fork and he is desperate to investigate this terrible crime, hoping to seek out the culprit. The play takes you on Christopher's journey as he discovers things about his own life as well as other peoples lives during his quest to solve the mystery that is the death of Wellington the dog.

Even if that doesn't sound like it would appeal to you, Fear Not!! As you will be amazed at the fantastic stage and the lighting. I was completely awestruck by what the lighting added to the incredible acting and how much the stage made me feel like I was in the middle of all the drama. These things really are the icing on the cake.

The Curious Incident struck the perfect balance between moving me (I was almost in tears) and making me laugh. At times I was chuckling and at others I had my heart in my mouth. When the end of the play arrived (I didn't want it to end), I felt like I knew Christopher inside out.

I decided very shortly after the show had finished that it is my favorite play. EVER. I immediately wanted to see it again! I only wish that I had gotten my hands on a copy of the book before I saw the theatre production as that is just one of the little things I like to do. However, the book is now at the very top of my Christmas list. (Sidenote: Oh My Gosh! It's getting close to Christmas!!!!)

I sincerely hope that The Curious Incident is not made into a film as I believe that it would somehow be ruined and the magic of the theatre show will forever be lost in cinemas. Don't get me wrong, I adore films, but I hope that the fabulous story will remain undiscovered by people who haven't seen it or read the book. This way it will be an amazing secret between us :)

That's it for today's post, hope you enjoyed it! x

P.S: I am not a professional Theatre-Goer so this isn't going to be a fantastic review, I just got excited and wanted to share my thoughts with you!

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a great time - I can't wait to see it. That was a lovely review, and it was nice to read your personal thoughts on it. GingerSnaps xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I put a fair bit of effort into it... I think you will enjoy the play when you see it xxx

      Delete